Tuesday, June 27, 2006

BOYWONDER MEETS T.I

Earlier in June, i had the pleasure of spending some time around a man who’s album debuted at No.1 in the US charts, who’s acting debut (ATL) was at No.3 in the US box office and who’s single released this week is set to be his highest UK chart position ever. Over the space of three days, i spoke to the urban legend that is T.I. (on behalf of RWD Mag)

Words By Boywonder Ent

Though I had the contentment of first attending an exclusive screening of ATL and it’s subsequent after-party, my marathon Clifford Harris session ended with me being sat in the cool climates of the Royal Park Hotel in Kensington with none other than the man himself. The father of four was very much undaunted by the prospect of becoming an rapper/ actor despite the notoriously difficult press they receive, “I had no reservations as I was just thinking about the role and dedicating myself to it” In the movie T.I. plays the protagonist Rasheed who much like himself, loves everything about ATL and jumped at the chance to film the movie. “I wanted to promote my area, you know. ATL is my home, the place I love so anything to promote this beautiful city I’m all for”. The ‘rubber band man’ however wasn’t the only famous ATLien to appear in the film which also features cameo’s from [take a deep breath] Big Boi, Monica, Jazze Pha, Killer Mike, Bone Crusher and Concrete.

The film is loosely based on mega producer Dallas Austin and TLC member T-Boz’s (who were the film executives) life growing up in southern Atlanta and compares the reality of the teenagers’ life experiences with the roller skating rink. If you say the name Atlanta, to most people, words such as ‘southern rap’, ‘strip clubs’, ‘pimps’ and ‘chicken and grits’ crop up, but definitely not roller-skating?!? The star of the flick fills us in, “Well, before people hit the strip clubs, they hit the roller-disco so it’s a prelude to the strip clubs if you were”. The movie features the most exhilarating skating action to be given a PG-12 certificate, and the southern rap royalty is as talented on eight wheels as he is with his lyrics, “I am very capable, you know,” he boats before telling us nonchalantly that he didn’t have a stunt-double. In the movie, Rasheed try’s to show his younger brother with hustling ambitions (played by Diana Ross’s son, Evan) that, “you don’t gotta be a dope boy to have money” and this is something that the multi-platinum Mr. Harris now firmly believes in. Tip was famously sentenced to three years in jail (although he was released early) over drugs allegations so speaks with a been-there-done-that wisdom when he states. “I wanna show the kids that they should follow that message even though I know a lot ain’t gonna agree with me”. One thing that the movie does highlight is how the ‘durty souf’ parties and T.I. does see similarities to London’s club scene. “London’s real nice; I’ve been receiving positive feedback with the single and hope to be back here soon with a European tour”.


Talking of parties the screening of ATL’s afterparty was held at Neighbourhood (recent hosts to DMX and Mobb Deep & 50 Cent) in London’s Ladbroke grove and of course i was on hand to see what went down. .........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home